Amazon Banner

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Tribute to All Bikes - Rye AZ Possibly the largest motorcycle junkyard ever...

Update: Yes it's sad but true, All Bikes in Rye, Az caught on fire caught on fire 1 2 on June 30th, 2013. I drove by there the first week of November 2013 and it's still closed. 
Please leave a Comment at the bottom of this page of your experience at All Bikes, We'd all like to hear>>

[Video]Meet the Eccentric Owner of All Bikes - Ron Adler, but all around good guy.



Ron Adler, USA 2011 (Video Portrait) from Chris Saunders on Vimeo.

All Bikes - Rye,AZ

This weekend I stopped by All Bikes in Rye, Arizona...it’s a motorcycle junkyard, but I think the appropriate name should be “motorcycle museum graveyard” is more fitting, a place where bikes go to die. It's really a fascinating place to visit, with well over 9,000 motorcycles, kind of an amusement park of sorts and this is why you should swing by...

Ron of All Bikes in Rye Az
...the guy who owns the place, Ron Adler, is attached to every piece of rust in the place and he should be, he's got some gems that he's collected for probably well over 40 years now. Now I know, when it comes to attachments we all have ours, right? But this guy is off the charts when it comes to how much he loves his motorcycles.

Two things you should expect when visiting his place:

1. Don't Touch Anything, Period!
2. Expect to be Quoted an Outrages Price when you ask!

Here are some interesting stories from others who have visited All Bikes in Rye Arizona: 
Gee Tee says: I am really kicking myself in the head for not doing this internet search for information on All Bikes before I made the somewhat wasted trip up there today. (01/14/2009). Although the short trip was well worth it just to see this massive helter-skelter collection up close. I can remember seeing the early stages of this bone yard 25+? years ago on my trips up north and always wondered who what and why. Today was the first time I’ve actually visited the place in a search for some 1958 Schwinn Corvette parts. Just as Erik, I too ended up being a little disenchanted with the proprietor. After talking to the owner and looking around at this mind boggling collection for about 45 minutes I was told to leave. While gently brushing the dust off a faded stand tube decal on a Schwinn Corvette my arm was grabbed from behind and he said, “That’s it, it’s time for you to leave, I don‘t want anybody touching my decals.” I won’t get in the conversation after that but I did apologize and then slowly made my way out of the place. Source
 Here's a couple more stories about All Bikes in Rye Az:
From Mike: “I think it is sad that this guy holds all of this stuff hostage. I know that there are people out there that see big dollar signs in this pile of chaos but there are also people that appreciate and respect the stuff kept imprisoned buy this guy. It is obvious he does it out of spite. I know people that have tried to buy stuff from him for good money. They were trying to get there childhood bike back and he would not budge. How can you call it a museum? It is just disrespect to history. Source

From ward26102: “I don't know. I was there to look around and talk to the old guy Ron. He loves to talk about motorcycles and I think he does so every day to as many people as possible. I don't think he likes to sell his prized possessions, his prices are too high and stuff is just getting weather deteriorated. I think he just likes being out there with his collection and talking to people and rebuilding bikes. Actually I was going to say he is a "hoarder," but I'm trying to be polite.” Source

I look at like this, the guy is retired and doesn't have to sell anything if he doesn't want to, even if it would give you your childhood motorcycle back. darn him! Anyways, I had a similar experience as that of everyone else: I went to move a motorcycle gas tank off the back of a minibike so I could get a better look at it and Ron bit my head with, “Hey don’t be moving stuff, it may not have value to you but it has value to me!” I thought for a moment I was back in kindergarten. 
It's amazing how many motorcycles, ATC's, minibikes, trikes, go karts and every imaginable motorized vehicle is here at All Bikes in Rye Arizona 

If you ever plan on trying to buy anything from this place, be prepared to be disappointed unless you’re willing to part with a stack of cash and a few pack mules or a crane to get your motorcycle out of that place. I’m not kidding, it’s treacherous, but kind of fun! I did find a guy who has actually bought a couple of things from Ron, so there is hope that you too will be this lucky. Truthfully, Ron is a one-of-a-kind guy with a deep history and a love for bikes you don't find very often, so cherish his uniqueness.

So next time your on your way to Payson from Phoenix stop by All Bikes it will be an adventure you may never forget, here's the address and contact information straight from Ron's business card: All Bikes Rye Az - New & Used Bikes, Quality Repair, Antique Restoration Parts and Accessories - Phone: 928-474-2526 Address Map to All Bikes: 16603 N Az Highway 87, Rye, Az


Please leave a Comment below of your experience at All Bikes, I'd like to hear...



All Bikes of Rye Az - Motorcycle Museum Graveyard
   


4 comments:

  1. i love that place, and the owner is nice. this is not a place where you can pull your own parts. some bikes are not for sale. but many are. he has lots of HODAKA parts. treat this salvage yard like its someones living room or house and have respect and you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought , sold, and traded with Ron since about 1991. I have sold him more things than I bought, but my stuff is pretty cool,old Harley's (I owned the 63 Panhead he showed) and a few others and a Goldwing. He gave me what I asked for as I left room on the table for him to make money. My son has traded some of his bicycles for a dirt bike. I know the value of parting out equipment as I have parted a few Dodge diesel trucks and people who want certain parts will pay, then there are bargain hunters. As far as decals go , 15 or 20 years ago I was selling my 1961 VW convertible after casually showing the car without being on top of the people I found my Karmin decals and radio knobs stolen and it happened on two separate occasions. Anything with value I watch like a hawk now. Good Luck Ron and all who find what they're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place burned to the ground last night (06/29/13)! I used to sell insurance in Payson & sold him a few title bonds. Nice guy, but he was pretty attached to those bikes, didn't like to part with much. My heart goes out to him today, it's all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All Bikes is no more. The whole place recently burned to the ground. Firefighters were reluctant to get too close because of exploding fuel tanks (either gas or propane...probably both).

    ReplyDelete